Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Momma's Visit


Wow! So Mom made it to Bangkok last Sunday - March 29. She was originally supposed to get here on Saturday night, but through many mishaps that America caused, she had to fly through Switzerland and didn't get here till Sunday. I got to the airport early Sunday morning because her flight got in at 6. I waited and waited and finally at around 7:30am she emerged from the terminal. She had her small carry on bag in her hand and her purse on her shoulder - nothing else. Immediately several thoughts formed in my mind - 1. "Where are the rest of her bags?" 2. "Did they lose her bags?" 3. "What if she didn't pack anything other than what she's holding?" 4. "Wonder if she's mad? (this was because she looked quite dazed/tired/zoned). I ran up to her and immediately asked, "Where are the rest of your bags?" She responded with, "This is it! They lost all my luggage!" 

We left later that night for Chiang Mai. We had a fabulous time in Chiang Mai. On Monday we
wentzip-lining(this is the same thing we did with Steph & them in Oct.), on Tuesday we did an elephant riding/hiking/bamboo rafting tour and on Wednesday we shopped a bit, ate some
amazing Indian food and flew back to Bangkok. Thursday Mom tried Som Tam and loved it and we left for Phuket late that night with Stephanie. 

Phuket was amazing! We got there late Thursday night and luckily our hotel still had our reservation(I was concerned because of the late hour). We crashed and got up later on Friday morning and spent the day laying lazily on the beach - the perfect way to welcome the Sabbath! On Sabbath we spent another lazy day on the beach but we ended the day with Stephanie and I horseback riding on the beach.

 This was a dream of mine to ride horses on the beach and it was seriously amazing. I'm so thankful that Steph went with me. It was a 2 hr. package and I loved it! My horse's name was Chita(maybe Cheetah?) and Steph's was Monty. Chita is an Aussie bred Horse and Monty is a Thai horse. Not that many of you care about the breeds of our horses, but I do so you'll have to suffer through this for my sake! I feel bad for Steph because her horse was about the most cantankerous I've seen a horse in a while. I 
mean it was so bad that if you tried to walk up to it, it'd turn on you and try to kick you! We switched horses for a bit so Steph could ride the dream I'd been on and I tried out Monty. It was a night and day difference. They had given us rubber boots to ride in and Steph's stirrups were metal. I put my foot in the stirrup and it slipped right off cause my feet were wet(from cantering Chita through the water). It hit Monty lightly in the side and he got mad, squeeled, and bucked! I laughed a little and was like, "Yeah, wrong tourist to buck with, buddy!" haha It was pretty hilarious though. I'm glad that Steph got to experience Chita 
because his saddle was comfy too! All in all, I had a perfect ending to my Sabbath in Phuket. 

Sunday we took a half day snorkeling tour. This was awesome! We had such a great time! We saw some beautiful fish and coral. We picked up several shells to take home with us. Unfortunately, you could tell that all of the spots we went to had been visited by tourists before, many times, because most of the coral was dead. But the fish were still vibrant in color and when my Mom and I were snorkeling at the last spot, we happened upon a brilliant purple/blue coral. It was surrounded by brown coral, deadness! It was like a shining star in a totally black sky! It was beautiful and I snapped a pic of it with the underwater camera that we had. I can't wait to get the pics developed! 

Now we're back in Bangkok for 2 more days. We leave EARLY on Friday morning and arrive in America at 5:30pm on Friday evening. I can't wait to get back, although I'm going to have to hit the ground running. I've got several things waiting on me when I get back, but God will help me keep the peace and relieve the stress of everyday life and adjusting to life back in America. Can't wait, but I'm dreading it all just the same as well. 

No comments: