Sunday, February 22, 2009

Winding Down

Although I don't actually leave Thailand until April 10, I will actually be done with my teaching at the end of this week. It's Monday right now, and by Friday at 11:00 am I will be done with teaching! Next week is exam week. The kids will come both Tuesday and Thursday for testing. We have to be here all week to work on grading and such. The next week(mar 9-13) will be full of grading and calculating final grades. OOO-what fun.....ick! That is by far my least favorite part of teaching - the grades! 

Anywho, after that week(Mar 15-20), I will be volunteering/observing at a local vet clinic for 40 hours. This is a requirement for entrance into the Vet Tech program at Chatt State. Hours, testing, and the application all have to be completed and sent in BEFORE May 1st. This is why I sought out a vet clinic here. I could have jammed 40 hours of observation, taking the test I have to take, filling out and sending the application, and...oh yeah.....resting, eating, and sleeping, for when I got back to the States, but I figured if they'd accept me, I might as well get it out of the way here. I prayed for a while hoping that they would allow me to shadow and observe at the vet clinic here. God answered my prayers and last week the head Veterinarian sent me an e-mail that said that she would see me March 15 at 9:00 am! I'm quite excited, both because I  am getting this done before I get to the States, but also because this will allow me to see how a vet clinic functions somewhere other than in America. 

I find myself both looking forward to and dreading going back to America. I have missed it SO much, but in all that time that I've missed it and thought about it, I've developed friends and family here. My little Soi sam-sip-jet(street 37) is home :o) I love my life here. I have grown accustomed to it. For 7 months I have known nothing but Pad Thai, Cow-Pad-Gai, Tao Rai?, and Sawatdee Kha. I have to say, I'm a little nervous about my entrance back into the States. Will I yearn for my Soi? Will I crave Thai food? Will I be willing to pay full price for things without haggling? Is America really better than any other place on earth? Is living in America really all it's cracked up to be? I'm not so sure anymore....

I am looking forward to going back because I will be reunited with my CUJO(cuyo!). My baby boy - Oh, how I've missed him. Apparently, he's 75 lbs. now! He was topping 45-50 when I left....so he's pretty much a monster now. I am just going to hug and squeeze him for an hour when I see him. I hope and pray that he still knows who I am(he was only 7 mos. when I left). 

I cannot wait until I can smell hay, horse manure, and grain again. I cannot tell you how many nights I've dreamt of laying on a horse's back while it was grazing, how many dreams I've soared over fences and trees on a horse's back. This is perhaps the one thing that truly makes me happy. Everyone needs that one thing that they can rely on - that one thing they know they can do - the one thing that takes them to a place that nothing else can. That is horses for me. A horse resting its chin on my shoulder, a horse whinnying for me, and galloping through an open field are things that brings tears to my eyes remembering how peaceful and content and purely joyful I felt. Thank goodness I'm the Equestrian Director at Camp Wawona this summer! I can be in my "Happy Place" at camp and I'm also working every day with the creatures that understand my soul better than anything else. How lucky am I? Mucho lucky - I'll tell you that!

The countdown is down to 33 days until I see my beautiful Momma. There will be many tears of joy when we see each other. I have missed her more than Cujo, more than horses(which is a WHOLE LOT). My mom is my best friend and we understand each other so well. For example, the other day my mom wrote to me on Skype, "Why do we even talk?" This may not seem very kind or make any sense, but it is because on a daily basis we type the exact same sentence, word for word, at the same time. It doesn't matter the topic, we always say the same thing. It's weird....haha My mom has been there for me in every tough situation and she has been the one in the stands cheering me on in every major life event. She is the one person that I can count on and I am so ecstatic that I am going to be able to share this amazingness with her! I LOVE YOU!

Please pray that all of us can stay strong throughout our time left here. Both because we are yearning for home more than ever, and because we are saddened beyond belief to leave our new home. I know that Mike, Tatiana, Stephanie, Erin, Leah, and Maria are all feeling similar emotions. So please pray for each one of us as we begin the final leg of this amazing race we've been on. I pray that God is blessing your life and that you are loving the winter weather! Temperatures are supposed to be hitting all time highs in March and April. I'll let you know whether or not we make it out alive! 

Peace

No comments: