Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Thai Tea with House, Please

Funny Story! 

So all of us SM's discovered "The Smoothie Lady" soon after we got here. Since then, it has been a love affair that requires daily visits - at least on my end...I have also become addicted to Chai Yen(Thai Iced Tea with Milk) while here. I realize that my time here is coming to an end, so I drink as much Chai Yen as I can - knowing I won't be able to get it once in the States! I've been told that you can find it in California, but that it's pricey :o( As opposed to the Yee-Sip baht here(20 B-less than a dollar), it's $4 or higher in the States! Man, the price differences are going to hit me hard when I get back......

ANYWAY, you can get Chai Yen in 2 different ways. Ban(blended/frappe) or Mai Ban(over ice). At first, I couldn't drink it straight over ice, because if you know me, you know that I loathe tea. Well, call it crazy(i do), but I love Chai Yen in all fashions now - over ice or blended. Back to the smoothie lady. For months now, whenever I ordered Chai Yen she knew to automatically make it ban(blended). Recently, I tried it over ice at another place by my school and love it just as much. When I went to "The Smoothie Lady" after my recent discovery, I wanted it iced again. She heard Chai Yen and quickly turned around to retrieve ice for the frappe. I called out after her, and told her(surprising myself with my Thai speak) "Mai Ban, Ka"(Not blended, please). She understood and I got my Chai Yen over ice - so yummy! Well, now I can choose however I want my Chai Yen with however I'm feeling that day - however the wind blows. Oh, the choices of life. The other night I went to get a Chai Yen from our regular smoothie lady. She knows us by now and smiles and says "Sawatdee, Kha" every time she sees us. She had several people standing there so when she looked to me in an obvious hurry, I tried to reply just as quickly. In my haste, my mouth spat out the words, "Mai Sai Ban, Ka". Hahaha! She looked at me funny, and I realized what I said. I said "With no blended, please", which is obviously not grammatically correct. I told this story to my teacher friends yesterday, 1 of then being Thai, Miss Un. Well, little did I know, the story gets even funnier. When I told them what I said, I had to explain the context and what the words meant(3 of them are Filipino). Miss Un looked a little puzzled. I wondered why....then she realized what I was saying that was puzzling her. "Ban" in Thai means "House". "Pan" in Thai means "Blended". So all this time, I have been saying "Chai Yen House, Please", in all my pride. So the other night, I said, "Chai Yen with house, please." Yeah, I'm humbled....

No comments: