Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Dogs speak Thai?

OK - people in Thailand speak Thai. That concept is easy enough to understand. I still have not learned an overwhelming amount of Thai, but for the record, I have tried. Teaching English really isn't helpful when trying to learn Thai. It's aight though. I can get a message across - I am well versed in the art of the Motions Language. Meaning, I can get a thought across thoroughly by motioning with my hands, arms, legs, etc. That, and the little bit of Thai I know helps out....I can order food, get places, direct a taxi, buy things, barter, and a few random other things. 

The housekeeper in my building recently got a puppy. It's real cute - adorable in fact. The only problem with this bundle of joy is that he LOVES chewing on anything and everything around him. I thought my Cujo was a bad chewer. To give you an accurate picture of how much he must make contact with things with his mouth - he pulled my basketball shorts down 3 times while I was trying to walk away from him. Luckily I had on my bathing suit underneath, although those around may not have known that tidbit of information...hmm...I'm sure it was hilarious to watch. Anywho, when I first started playing with him, I would say "No, Bo!" when he started biting too hard or scratching too hard. When I realized that it wasn't working, a thought occurred to me. Could it be that he doesn't understand English? I tried saying "Mai, Bo!" and guess what? It worked! P.S. "Mai" means "No". I was shocked. Of course Thai people speak Thai, but dogs as well? I cannot explain why this intrigued me so, but it did. 

On Monday I started my observation hours at the Animal Hospital. Today is my 3rd day. 14 hours down - 26 more to go. Hopefully I'll get to see a surgery today! Yesterday 2 big dogs came in. This is not common. Most people in Thailand have lap dogs - Pugs, Shitzus, Norwich Terriers, Dachshunds, Doberman Pinchers, and many other lap-sized dogs. You rarely see a dog over 15 pounds. Yesterday a pair came in. A German Shepherd and a Schnauzer - they were awesome! I love big dogs, so I went in and played with them for a few minutes. I was having a blast! The assistant in there with me was playing with them too. He said something in Thai and motioned like we do after we say, "Give me your paw." I was shocked again. The dog gave him his paw. I tried to say it, and it worked! I was thoroughly amused. It's just a weird concept for me for animals to know and understand a language even I don't. God's amazing creatures are so smart. I miss my amazing Cujo - who will understand when I say, "I Love You, Baby Boy!" 24 days until I go home. 

P.S. - Erin and Stephanie will both be going to Camp Wawona with me!!! I am so excited about our adventures in store for us. This makes me feel so much better. I know that we will all face our own individual challenges dealing with adjustments to America. Now, we'll be in the safe haven of camp and have each other to talk with about our amazing home. Can't wait for the excitement to begin :D 

No comments: